March 2, 2020

Started Off Great, Ended Not As Planned


This morning I worked on just setting up my new operating system again since I reset it on Saturday. There was still a bunch of stuff that needed to be worked on, so I did that. I woke up around 6 AM and did that for around 3 hours, so that's what I did that morning and then I went to work.

Work was pretty much a normal day. The weather outside I thought was way too warm for winter, it felt like a warm spring day or a cool summer day, especially underneath the sun. Since this winter has been so warm, there being maybe 1 snow day the entire season, which then melted the next day I can already tell this summer's going to be very hot, unfortunately for the planet. Anyway I ended up walking around 7000 steps I think during lunch time and an afternoon break.

During work I talked to my co-worker who sits next to me a lot, I showed him Reckful's "what does 1 billion dollars look like" trick on a text editor, which I saw as one of the best videos I've seen, the first time I saw it back in around 2014. I didn't show him the video, I showed me doing that trick of showing what 1 billion dollars looks like. I was maybe 19 or 20 when I first saw that video, and at the time I felt like, yeah, I'm going to be making 1 billion dollars in the future. It's now 6 years later and I've woken up to the reality at how nearly impossible that would be. The minimum unit used is $100,000 and I don't even have that, to get a billion I would need 10,000 of those, which doesn't sound like a lot, but even getting 1 of those is hard, getting 10 of those is even harder, and getting 20 of those is harder still.

I think in my lifetime, realistically speaking, I think the most I would get if everything worked perfectly, is maybe 100 of those units. In my total lifetime. And another thing is, I wouldn't know what to do with all that money. It wouldn't bring me happiness because I wouldn't really buy anything with it. I can already afford everything I want, and even if I do want something, it doesn't mean I'll buy it. My lifestyle is pretty minimalist, most of my clothes are years old and they've pretty much been all gifted to me. I don't buy anything because there's nothing for me to buy. My cost of living for food is also pretty minimal, even though I do eat a lot, it's all just plants and very inexpensive. I guess rent is the only major expense, which I pay a huge chunk for.

But yeah, I think the reason why I'm not so desperate for money and why I'm not lusting after it so much, is because it wouldn't bring me anything. Sure I could retire early. Then what? I have this entire lifetime to live. What do I do with my infinite free time from retiring early? I could travel, but I think that's just more work, and it would pollute the planet a bit. So then I'll just stay at home. Then what? I'd probably play games all day since I already have all a billion dollars, why would I need to study or work or do anything else? I would probably end up donating all that money to charity, every single penny.

That's actually what I would do with that money, just donate it all, because I wouldn't even want it. And I'm a pretty fair person. If I had my own employees, I would give them a very fair share of the company, not like 0.00000001% share, but like equal amounts of what I would have. So if there was one employee, they'd get 50%, if there were three, we'd each get 33%. And this is why I would fail as a business person, being fair does not work. I have to be very greedy and have 99% ownership of the company, giving distributing the remaining 1% to the next 1000 people that join.

The equal share idea may be bad, it should be more like, more contribution equals more ownership. The more a person contributes, they own of the company. Contribution would be based on some key performance indicators. If they end up contributing the most, like creating a project that sells for millions if the kpi was revenue, and everyone else in the company only gets like $100 in sales, then this contributor would get 99% ownership. But then a year later another person gets 10 million sales, then they get 88% and the previous owner is reduced to 11%. I think that's a fair system and that might work. I don't think it's ever been tried though.

In the afternoon since the weather felt like spring, I thought it would be perfect to run, I had planned on running when I got home. However, I ended up not doing that, and I ended up procrastinating and watching hours of YouTube and Twitch instead, disappointing myself. I'm bringing gym clothes in tomorrow so I at least put some of this gym membership I'm paying for, to use.

Tomorrow I plan on having a much better, more productive day. I'm planning on running and finishing up a bunch of personal tasks. Is it possible? Let's see what happens.

Written by JustMegawatt

Log in to Like
Log In to Favorite
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter

You must be signed in to post a comment!